Dreadful weather and I feel a cold coming on.
However, we did manage to fit in a number of maintenance tasks so all is not lost.
We started with an over-haul of an urban garden. Since it was a one-off, we had to fit as much in as possible even though it might not be exactly ‘timely’.
In this corner we cut back the unruly ivy climbing over the wall using a hedge-trimmer, this is the quickest, easiest way and gives the neatest finish. The clematis growing in a pot at the base of the arch was pruned, untangled and repotted into a larger pot with new compost- it was really root bound and lacked nutrients. It was then tied back onto the arch. The rose was hard pruned and tied into the arch. The Mahonia, looking its best with yellow scented flowers was left to be pruned in January after flowering. We then weeded the borders.
The bright green Hebe was pruned using shears to a nice rounded shape making sure we didn’t cut too deeply which would have removed all the foliage. We took a third off the Budleja davidii behind, which should be pruned again in Spring.
In this corner we took off the top of the bay to keep it at a manageable height and shaped it as it was getting top heavy.
The black bamboo behind the Bay has gorgeous stems that can’t be seen, so we thinned out all the weedy young growth right to the ground and removed the foliage from a metre from the ground to reveal the stems.
Around the rest of the garden, we emptied pots of weeds and plants that hadn’t survived. pruned more roses, a vine, a tree peony and re-potted a camellia that had also out grown its container. We swept up all the fallen leaves and weeded the patio. All in a mornings work.
Now the exciting part – coming up with some suggestions for new planting next year.
All on my own today, back on the estate… but here is a job that needs doing
The Darmera peltata that has looked so stunning again this Spring, Summer and Autumn:
is finally over and needs cutting down to the ground all ready again for next year. All good for the compost though.
It will flower in May before the leaves grow and loves damp conditions in full sun.
The morning was spent cleaning the greenhouse. The weather was lovely by the time we had finished
The day was way to dull and wet to take any pictures but we managed to do a little bit of weeding, bulb planting in containers and rose pruning before we slunk back to the van and went home. The rest of the day was spent ordering a few more bulbs as we still have time to get them in and they are currently half-price, so… fantastic 🙂
After an early night I am up with the larks and it is still raining. That’s fine as it is time to write this post, research some plants for the urban garden and look at Kickstarter for funding for my next project… Watch this Space!